Located 300km south of Perth, the Southern Forests includes the towns of Manjimup, Pemberton, Northcliffe and Walpole. I’ve visited the region several times this year, as part of the WA Celebrity Signature Dish competition and for Truffle Kerfuffle.
The region is renowned for its world-class produce including more than 50 types of fruit and vegetables, marron and beef cattle. The rich soils and cooler climate are perfect for wine production, and the area is home to over 50 wineries.
Manjimup is the only place Black truffle is grown in commercial quantities in the southern hemisphere.
I’ve been fortunate to visit many of the region’s picturesque destinations and spend time with local producers and business owners. I love the climate, and have always found the people very welcoming. Oh, and don’t forget the spectacular food 🙂
Visitors to the region can now enjoy a similar experience on a 5-day / 4-night “Genuinely Extraordinary Food & Farm Experience” tour.
Tour participants will:
- Meet genuine down-to-earth farmers and Southern Forests locals.
- Walk through working orchards and farms.
- Enjoy a sunset wine and food experience.
- Experience a truffle hunt with truffle dogs among the oak and hazelnut trees.
- Take behind the scenes tours of the region’s state of the art packing houses and processing facilities. Learn how food is grown, picked and packed for consumption.
- Enjoy locally prepared meals showcasing fresh seasonal Southern Forests produce.
The tour runs over the first weekend of every month, starting on Friday 01 September.
The tour costs from $1,478.62 per person (twin share) inclusive of regional hosts, accommodation, transport within the region, meals and experiences.
See below for some more photos from my time in the region, and a taste of what you’ll experience on the tour.