March is Eat Drink Perth month, and there’s always a great selection of events to attend covering breakfast, dinner and everything in between. This year, I attended several masterclass events.
Cabernet and the Carnivore
Paul and Jill O’Meehan, owners of Stirling Ranges Beef, were present at the event although butcher and exclusive distributor Greg Ryan lead the beef talk.
Wine expert and co-owner of Mayfair Lane, Foni Pollitt, lead the Cabernet journey, partnering her sensational selection of drops with different beef cuts.
Once the learning was done we were let loose on the beef, and what a feast it was! Oh, that rump cap…
The 86 Co. at Bobeche
A collaboration running through the whole month of Eat Drink Perth, this event sees spirit creator The 86 Co. team up with top Perth bar Bobeche for a range of special cocktails featuring each of four sprits: gin, tequila, rum and vodka.
The 86 Co. creates spirits with some of the best distillers and distilleries around the world, focusing on high-quality product for use by bartenders. They come in ergonomic bottles, with measures on the side.
Four exclusive cocktails, each costing $20, are available during Eat Drink Perth:
- Ford’s Cooler: Ford’s gin, strawberry, grapefruit soda & lime
- You Mirin?: Tequila Cabeza, lime, honey, mirin & ginger
- Duck and Weave: Aylesbury Duck Vodka, rhubarb, lime & cranberry
- Peachy in Panama: Cana Brava, peach, watercress & lime
I had to try them all in the line of duty, and it was all a bit of a blur by the time I got to number four! The gin and tequila creations were my two favourites, if I remember correctly 😉
The Belgian Beer Café Tap and Table
This event presented a multi-course pairing of food and beer, featuring food from the Belgian Beer Cafe and beers from Denmark’s Artisan Brewing. Artisan creates single batch Belgian-inspired fine ales.
The four courses were:
- Appetiser, paired with Witbier: Boston Bay mussels with Witbier, garlic, pickled lemon & fennel; in-house smoked cheddar cheese biscuits & cheese beer spread.
- Entree, paired with Gnome: roasted duck breast with pan fried endives, duck far potato, caramelised pear & ginger and a beer jus.
- Main, paired with Quadrupel: proscuitto wrapped pork medallion, sauteed brussel sprouts and balsamic apple.
- Dessert, paired with Tripel Treating: Mango mousse, coconut crumble & dark chocolate bombe.
Brewer Brian Fitzgerald was on hand to tell a few stories and answer questions. The last keg of his fig beer was downed on the night – 10kg of figs were used to make it!
There are still many more Eat Drink Perth events to go! Check out the full program here, and don’t forget to tag #EatDrinkPerth2018 and @cityofperth when sharing your foodie adventures.
This post was sponsored by the City of Perth