Top Fremantle restaurant Bib & Tucker is halfway through its “Winter Series” of dinners, with each featuring a different and unique tasting menu.
Three dinners remain for 2018, with the next being Truffle & Cheese on Tuesday, 07 August.
The dinner will see Bib & Tucker’s co-owner and chef Scott Bridger showcase Manjimup truffles over four meticulously prepared courses. Renowned chef David Coomer from Coomer Truffles will be a special guest, and will talk about the intricacies and challenges of truffle production.
Tickets are still available for the dinner and can be purchased here for $90 per person, or $115 including matching wines.
So far this year, guests have been treated to menus inspired by fire & smoke, rooftop & garden (yes, the dish above was edible!) and nose to tail.
Still to come is a vegan degustation with natural wines on 11 September. See the Bib & Tucker website for more information.
Truffles may be a mysterious – and expensive – ingredient, but they’re not something to be scared of. It’s also important not to confuse fresh truffle with truffle oil, which often doesn’t contain any truffle at all.
Scott Bridger’s Truffle Cheese Toastie
Here’s Scott’s recipe for a delicious truffle cheese toastie you can make at home. It’s the ultimate indulgent snack, or cut it smaller for a cheeky canape at your next party.
- 2 thick slices of good quality Ciabatta bread
- 20 gm Gruyere, sliced
- 20 gm Raclette, sliced
- 20 gm compte, sliced
- 15 gm fresh black Manjimup truffle
- 20 gm butter at room temperature
- Flaked sea salt
- Power up your toasted sandwich machine.
- Butter one side of each slice of ciabatta bread.
- Finley shave your truffle on a truffle shaver, reserving a small amount.
- On the unbuttered side of the bread, layer cheese then truffle, cheese then truffle and so on.
- Place the top layer of bread and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Cook on a low to medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until golden and oozing.
- Cut into desired and manageable pieces, then grate your remaining truffle over your sandwich with a micro plane.
Your house will smell like a French cheese shop with a little touch of Manjimup.
Prefer Scott and his team to cook truffle dishes for you? Then get your tickets for the Bib & Tucker Truffle & Cheese dinner here.
I’ll see you there!